By Board member Jay Suber
President: To be elected 1 YR Term will end 12/31/18
Vice President /President-Elect To be elected 1 YR Term will end 12/31/18
Secretary: Lou Phelps 2 YR Term ends 12/31/18
Treasurer: To be elected 2 YR Term will end 12/31/19
Board of Directors:
1.) Jay Suber Current Member Term ends 12/31/18
2.) Ellen Eldridge Immediate Past President Term ends 12/31/18
3.) Haisten Willis Current Member Term ends 12/31/18
4.) OPEN Student Member To be elected Term will end 12/31/19
5.) OPEN To be elected Term will end 12/31/19
Questions? Please do not hesitate to call Julius “Jay” Suber in Atlanta at 404-876-0133 or Louise “Lou” Phelps in Savannah at 912-220-2759, this year’s appointed Nominating Committee members.
To our professional journalists in the Peach State, soon it will be your turn to personally help further shape the direction of the Society of Professional Journalists Georgia Pro Chapter. Every member of this young, dynamic organization matters, so it follows then, YOUR vote counts if you are a paid member by Sun. Dec. 3, 2017.
There’s plenty of time to join and support the work of the Society of Professional Journalists!
We’re here to support you, connect you with other journalists and freelance jobs opportunities and provide advice if needed.
To that end, SPJ Georgia President Ellen Eldridge named a Nominating Committee this past summer, according to the SPJ Georgia Bylaws, which paraphrased state:
- The Nominating Committee shall propose its slate of SPJ Georgia members to be elected to the Board and leadership as identified (President, President-elect, Treasurer and Secretary) and any open Board positions.
- The membership must be notified 30 days in advance of the date of the election of the proposed Slate of Officers and new Board Members, (to include each candidate’s qualifications for office – a short paragraph provided by each candidate). This list, according to the Bylaws will be delivered electronically.
- Any SPJ Georgia members can then propose OTHER candidates for Officers (President, President-elect and Treasurer or Board of Directors, 20 days in advance of the membership election date. It is the Board’s responsibility to get this information to members of the SPJ Georgia Pro Chapter 10 days in advance of all candidates so nominated, as well as the slate proposed by the Nominating Committee.
The responsibilities of each position is outlined in our Bylaws which can be read online here.
***Please note there will be a vote on the ballot to amend terms in the Bylaws to run from January to December each year.***
SPJ Georgia Board of Director member Julius “Jay” Suber was selected Chairman of the Nominating Committee and Louise “Lou” Phelps was also elected to serve on the Nominating Committee.
Phelps is also Secretary of the SPJ Georgia Board of Directors. Both Suber’s and Phelps’ terms do not expire until December 2018 (they are not part of this year’s election process.)
The Nominating Committee is working systematically to ensure the word gets out, while we develop a process to capture one hundred percent voter participation rate. NOW is the time to submit YOUR name if you are interested in serving on the Board of Directors.
SIX important things our professional membership should know:
- The election WILL be held for a three-day period, from Mon. December 4 – 6, 2017 at midnight EST. Any journalist who is a paid Georgia Chapter member as of Dec. 3, 2017, can vote.
- Members will be voting on open board positions, a new President, a new Vice President/President-Elect and a new Treasurer.
- The Board positions are for a two-year term. The President and Vice President is for a one-year term each.
- All nominations will be announced on Friday, Nov. 3 by the Nominating Committee.
- Any paid member who would like to be a candidate for the Board of Directors OR to nominate someone by Nov. 13.
- Nominations should EMAILED to Jay Suber at email@example.com by Nov. 13.
Questions? Please do not hesitate to call Jay Suber at 404-876-0133 or Lou Phelps at 912-220-2759.